Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Comfort Zones? I am breaking out of mine.

I'm in the big city for a conference. The conference has been held at the same place, the Red Lion at Jantzen Beach, since I got hired. This is my third trip. Each drive has been a bit hairy. Picture rush hour, ever time. Lot's of drivers who are used to the hustle and bustle, know the route and are very competent drivers. Next picture me, in a much beloved, beat up, rusty, running on it's last legs Subaru. It will take a couple of days to get the "rumble" out of my ears and then I have to drive the 6 hours home. This trip I noticed something. I wasn't in my usual "rush" to get to the end point. I took my time and was relaxed. My hands weren't cramped on the steering wheel, even though it took me 45 minutes to drive 10 miles. It's day two of the conference and I just went to start the car and it won't start. LOL I have Triple A so I'll call them the day I need to head home. No need to panic now.

I don't mind going to these out-of-town trainings for a few different reasons. I learn new things that will help me do a better job, I get to meet people face-to-face that are "me" in other counties, my middle gets to come visit and we spend a couple of nights together. It's a momma's dream. One-on-one time with an adult child. Last night we went to dinner and to Target, today we went to Trader Joe's. I really enjoyed going to Trader Joe's. I've only been a couple times (country-girl, remember). I watched the people shopping. There were "hippies", yuppies, young singles and older people. I cracked up seeing "Lumbersexuals" who would never be able to use a saw in the woods. The items for sale are actually reasonably priced (I used to sell my home-grown eggs for more than their organic eggs). I normally would have felt out of place there. I mean, my boots have actually walked in cow poop.

I watch people at the conference as well. It's interesting to note that people don't get out of their comfort zone very much. They talk with the people they know, sit with their co-workers at meals and don't want to mingle. I'm not like that. I'll talk with just about anybody. I am not afraid to raise my hand and speak in front of people. I didn't used to be like that, it's just happened over time.

I guess I'm learning to let my walls down. I don't stress about stuff as much and it's a good feeling.




3 comments:

  1. Ruth!! Somehow, someway, I lost your blog for a couple of years (more), but am thrilled now to have stumbled upon it again. You can assured I'll be a regular reader again now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might even comment with complete sentences and punctuation marks! :o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth :) I've let a lot of my guard down too and don't stress about most of the things that used to cause me way too much anxiety. I think that comes with life experience. It really is a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete