Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Resolutions: 50% success

Wow... all of my resolutions for the blog have kinda gone down the tube.  I planned on writing regularly as a way of "purging" my mind of all the crazy stuff that goes through it, sharing wise words about our farm and other important things. 

FAIL! 

But, on the other hand I vowed to start living a simpler life, minimalizing our belongings (hard to do on a farm) and enjoying experiences.  Buying "things" used to bring me a false feeling of "happiness".  It was hard to enjoy experiences because I felt so guilty.  I know, silly huh?

That is slowly changing.  I have worked hard on getting rid of "stuff" slowly, so that I don't have to worry about remorse.  It has made the house easier to clean and I feel lighter.

We went to a music festival for the 2nd year in a row.  After we'd bought tickets, camping space and car parking last summer (we split it with friends), I started thinking "what an idiot", why did I spend the money, etc. After a while, I just resigned myself to the fact that I messed up.  Fast forward to last Friday as we drove to the venue 45 minutes away. We were loaded down with junk food, I'd packed books and magazines and work stuff.  The year before I'd gone and watched all the acts.  This year I just went and saw the ones I wanted to see (Kenny Chesney was amazing, by the way). The rest of the time was spent in our camp, sitting around and visiting, people watching (the girls in their super short dresses or fake cowboy hats, trying to keep the skirts down and the hats on) the drunks (now that I'm sober they are fun to watch). I didn't do a bit of the stuff I took with me to work on.  I didn't help cook as much as I should have, but I helped clean up.  It was amazing.  Wanna know the best part.  In the past I would have headed to the different vendors and spent way too much money on shirts that I would never wear beyond the concerts or the hats with all the bling.  I was looking for one thing and when I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, I walked away.  I didn't buy a dang thing (other than really bad-for-me food at the booths). I ate cotton candy one night for dinner.  It was so freeing.  Yes, I spent more money on the event and food than I should have.  But it bought myself a great experience. I only took a few pics because so many others were taking pictures and videos that I can watch later on if I want. 

Trust me, coming away with no "spending" guilt was amazing.  And so I'd say my resolution was a success.  And I plan on continuing, I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you eliminated "stuff" both physically and mentally! Good job.

    ReplyDelete