Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lambing out of the normal! I don't know if I can keep doing this.

If you've ever had pregnant livestock, you know that every delivery is different.  This year after 5 years of having lambs born on the property, I took it to a whole new level.




Rectal hernia, followed by beginning prolapse of the uterus.  I had a vet appointment, my shearer came by and said "this isn't gonna wait".  We loaded Thing Two (aka Tuba) into her truck and off we went.


Prep!


The new vet tech was so excited to be a part of it.  She has a beautiful smile.


Dr. John was trying to put a scalpel in the handle and it slipped.

I stopped taking pictures of the surgery at this point.

That's me, in the background in my purple mucks and pink sweatshirt, asking questions re: the ewe and milk production. The lamb in this picture, named Dr. Seuss by the vet techs weighed 13 lbs. 


This is Horton, tipping the scales at 15 lbs.  The vet and my shearer worked really hard to get his breathing started. 


Home safe and sound, 2 bottles of colostrum and 2 of goats milk, momma's milk came in and everyone is happy, except for me, because I'm not sure how I'm going to pay the vet bill.


6 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes and OMG! Never a dull moment, huh? Was this a "once in a lifetime" thing for this ewe or will she be prone to this when she gives birth again? Glad you and all the critters made it through the ordeal. It's hard, but in the midst of the crisis we usually don't think about the vet bill. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won't be able to bred again. But she'll have a forever home with us. She was Lyndsey's first breeding ewe and I promised her a life of ease.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps the vet would trade out for some homegrown lamb? :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jokingly (semi-serious) mentioned that if they couldn't take payments, I'd leave the sheep there. They said no, that was okay. On a good note, the bill was only $502, so not as bad as I was expecting.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Glad things went well. Although I was kind'a hoping for some surgery pictures....does that make me weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet clinic is supposed to be sending me some, I'll post them when I get them. It was interesting to watch, so I forgot to take pictures.

      Delete