Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Life with an empty nest?

I am alive, just hiding, I guess.  Actually, I got overwhelmed from the new job in early July that kept me running like crazy until mid-September, then Lyndsey (#3 and last daughter) moved off to Oregon State University in Corvallis (Go Beavs') in late September.  I had training for the new job and a much-dreaded 3 day trip with my mother and younger sister to visit my older sister all in 1 week (2 days after Lyndsey moved).  My daughter Kaitlyn (#1) and her husband are still living on the property with Austin, the now 7 month old grandson.  A month ago, son-in-law ended up with a lump, swollen glands and a cancer scare and they removed one of his, um, delicate portions.  We now know it's not testicular cancer, but they don't know what is is, so we are all up in the air over that.

The farm did well even though I wasn't around much to tend it.  I lost a lot of tomatoes because I couldn't pick regularly enough. Grrrr... Sold lots of apples, green beans and pie pumpkins.  Started next years "what to plant" list.  Filled my deer tag last weekend wearing my flip flops, yoga pants and a t-shirt, all on my own.  Well, kinda... I'm debating writing a story about the whole thing, it was that comedic.

Tonight the Fish and Wildlife guy came out and set up a live trap to catch the bear that's been breaking my apple branches and flattening fences.  I don't mind them wandering through, but this one has been hanging out a week or so now and I don't need surprises on the farm.  I've decided to sell 3 of our 5 Suffolks (the ram and two pregnant ewes) as it's to expensive to feed all 5 of them $400 a month worth of grain and alfalfa and only get a $2000 write-off.  The numbers don't add up.  I'm keeping our two oldest and will breed them until they're too old to lamb any more.  I'm going to expand the egg business instead.  Easier to handle deaths!

Life is changing, it's not bad with Lyndsey not here, just different. It's bugging Steve, but he's busy with hunting season right now, so isn't too bad yet. I'm waiting, though, because Lyndsey was his baby girl and it's gonna be a long winter without her here to entertain him.  I'm hoping to expand the farm business and do some sewing and other "sellable" crafts this winter.  It's supposed to be mild and dry, which is scary because we almost ran out of water this year.

Anyhow, glad to be back, will be kicking up a new site soon, and the blog will go with it, so I'll keep you posted.

Wishing you hope, joy and faith!

3 comments:

  1. Good to have you back in blogland, Ruth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a post from you! You've been missed. Do let us all know what's going on with you . . . always interesting to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, NEED to know the story behind the deer! Good to hear from you...

    ReplyDelete