Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

It rains and so of course, lambing must be close?

It finally rained a little last evening and today... We desperately need the rain. We are way below our normal amount.  So, I figure all the ewes should have babies soon, because of course they couldn't do it when it was nice, clear and dry... Of course not.

I haven't moved anyone yet to the "birth" room (a two stall 3 sided lean-to close to the house), but tonight I went down with the flashlight to check, and Stacie, our oldest ewe, was the only one in the shelter.  She stood up when I looked in, and she was breathing pretty rapidly.  She has always "surprised" us with no clear labor signs, pretty much in 3 years of lambing (twins each year), we've managed to be there for 1 lamb.  Think I'll go down in a bit and check her again.  Maybe I'll move her up.  She won't be happy with me, but part of this is for my convenience.

I'll keep you posted.  Hoping they'll all go fast!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No sign of lambs yet, just fat, miserable pregnant ewes. Stacie complained all night long, loudly!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No lambies. Needless to say, Stacie was pretty mad at me this morning for locking her away from her friends.

      Delete