Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Societal norms are becoming so twisted!

I posted this on facebook today...

"So, I have to wonder... why do teens and adults feel it necessary to post pictures of themselves flipping the camera off? Or a post full of swear words? Has our moral compass gone so low that this is acceptable? I guess the societal norm is now that it is okay to essentially tell someone to "f" off? Because that is basically what your picture says. I am embarassed and ashamed... I thought we would hold ourselves to a higher standard. I can't change other's behaviors, but I can change mine. I won't like the posts and at a certain point, I'll remove the posts or the person. I love all my friends, but I have to do what I feel is healthy for me."

Why, you ask?  Well, I have a couple of nieces (daughters to my sister Sallie, who had the stroke a few years ago) who constantly post pictures of them flipping the camera off, talking about how much they love pot, or language that would make a sailor blush.  I doubt that they even noticed my post, or that they exhibit behaviors that are less than becoming, but I needed to get it off my chest. 

It's not just social media that is becoming more out-there... In the stores, restaurants and other public places, people use horrible language and exhibit behavior that makes me blush.  I have been lucky and not received negative comments on my blogs, but I know some of you have.  I can't imagine people being so rude and outspoken, especially to someone they have never met. 

What is happening?  I feel like people are becoming desensitized and we've forgotten what respect is about.  Is it because so much is done "on-line" without face-to-face reaction?  Is it because those who do it are going out of their way to "shock" others and are stepping further and further away from what is right?  I don't know, but it upsets me, it hurts me and I'm tired of it.  What can I do?  I can start doing what I stated... calling people on it, speaking up and showing respect. 


7 comments:

  1. I agree completely, I can only hope I can raise my boys to think about how others perceive their actions before they act. I have seen some unbelievable things on Facebook especially, and have seen girls posing and dressing in ways that are inappropriate to say the least! Future employers, future husbands/wives and family members will all see this activity and I can't believe they don't think about that. Heck, even their future kids will be able to google this stuff! Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything I think of saying sounds preachy in my head, so suffice it to say I agree with you and you are doing the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been upset with the fowl language to....I didn't want to offend anyone with a comment,...So I posted on my facebook that I still want to be friends with some but I won't have the language on my facebook so if I delete you as a friend it doesn't mean we can't still talk and if you are mad I am sorry but I can't stand fowl language...One of my sons uses the bad words and I comment each time saying I didn't bring you up this way. Its hard to see it from one of my grown sons...I still love him dearly...My other kids do not do that...You have a choice in what you want on face book....Actually I have been thinking about deleting facebook altogether... Most of the people are showing off and are fakes...or least they don't do it in person to me...Maybe they are fakes with me...Just don't know with people now a days... I have been doing a lot of decluttering in my life who are my friends and who arent...I found out who my true friends were when I fought breast cancer...And I realized I don't need that many... I just want down to heart true friends and I found out who they are... Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a little food for thought: My sister is a mental health counselor. She says that FB now comes up in her sessions 90 percent of the time. That is a staggering number....and it's never in a positive reference. It may have started out as a positive social platform designed to connect us with people, but more and more it is becoming a place for folks to act crudely, insult, attack, and just "show their undies" as we might say. Every day lately I consider dropping it altogether....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never gotten involved with Facebook and know, in some respects, I live an isolated and insulated life. When I see a bit and hear of what is the "accepted norm" in society today, I feel very sad and very grateful I have the life I do. It's hard to believe that those who have adopted this rude, crude behavior are happy individuals. It might be wise for all of us to remember the old adage, "You shape your environment and your environment shapes you. I agree with all you've said in this post, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with you! I had facebook for a short time because I heard so much about it. Facebook this and facebook that. So I joined but I too got so tired of the horrible language and disrespect and all the shocking activities. So I deleted my account and have lived quite fine without it. The normal in society today is turning from good to bad. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found a couple of blogs lately with TMI ... (too much information) personal info about another family member, one that would probably be horrified that this was being posted on a blog. Stick to your ideals, wish more people would.

    ReplyDelete