Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Opinions/thoughts/suggestions please?

Okay, I got on a bread kick... someone posted a link on facebook to a great recipe for bread and I've been going crazy.  It's a great, crunchy artisan bread that I add goodies too (dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar and oatmeal or marinated artichokes, dried onions, dried tomatoes and parmesan or pickled jalapenos, garlic and cheddar).

A co-worker wants to buy a loaf on a regular basis.  We have no where in town that sells similar things, not even the grocery store.  So, how much should I charge her?  I have a bad habit of undervaluing things, but I don't want to overcharge either...

Basic recipe is 3 cups flour, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon yeast and 1 1/2 cups of water. I throw in whatever sounds good, let set for 12-24 hours and then bake.  Baking time from heating the pan to finish is 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

3 comments:

  1. Just off the top of my head, I'd say $4. I have no idea what "artisan" bread costs at the store here, let alone what it might cost IF you did have such stores near you.
    Lots of help, hugh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A church member wanted to start buying bread from me, too. Mine is probably more expensive to make (whole wheat flour, honey, yeast, sunflower seeds, flax meal, salt, oil, water), but I just wanted to cover my cost, not make a profit since I know they are having job issues. So I'm charging $3/loaf. I think $4/loaf for your co-worker is fair; Great Harvest is more expensive than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artisan breads in our nearest "big city" go for $4.25 to $5.50. I would charge $5 a loaf. (Sadly, these days a five dollar bill isn't a lot of money!) It's not just the ingredients you have to figure in, but your time. (And what about energy costs to bake the bread?) We tend to devalue our time, I know, but unless you want to do it for "nothing" that should be figured in. If anyone thinks that's too high, they've never spent any time making bread.

    Having said all that, I am the WORST person at putting a price on anything I make. Often times I end up giving it away rather than asking someone to pay what the item is honestly worth.

    ReplyDelete