Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pumpkin Dog Treats-yummy!

I have made something I call Kennel Kookies for over 2 years now for my dogs.  It's a pretty basic recipe:

Mix: 2 cups whole-wheat flour, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth), 1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375'F. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk, then add to dry ingredients and mix well. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Bake for 20 minutes on a greased baking sheet until lightly brown. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container. They can burn quickly, so keep an eye on them.  My dogs go nuts over them, and if I say "Kennel up and you'll get a cookie," they all head straight for the kennel with no problems. I've actually tried 'em and they aren't bad, kinda cracker-like.

I decided to make another treat to use as a training tool, something a little more "flavorful" that will be motivation to listen to commands.  I know that praise is the best way to train, but my "pack" seems to listen with their stomachs.  These goodies do the trick and taste great also.
 
Pumpkin/Peanut butter treats

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup canned pumpkins, 1/2 teaspoon sale, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 tablespoons peanut butter.
 
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
3.Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the two recipes, Ruth! The doggies in my life will send thank you notes . . . if I get some treats made for them. Had a melt down this weekend because (in part) of letting myself get caught up in the trying to do way too much for the holidays when I'm feeling tired and spent to start with. (Biggie: I love the idea of having Christmas cookies but sure don't enjoy having to make all of them. Might have something to do with the fact that they disappear so fast.) Didn't mean to complain here . . . but did want to thank you for taking the time to post the two recipes. Arf-arf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like the perfect treats for my duo! I have wheat berries in the freezer that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I think you've given me the answer!

    ReplyDelete