Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sobriety simplfied!

Todays facebook post!

Today, I am grateful for the fact that I achieved 15 years of sobriety, 1 day at a time. I did it alone, with tons of support from family and friends. What is really amazing is that Nov. 21 came and went and I didn't even remember it was my "birthday". Life has become so normal without a beer that my subconcious has tucked that milestone away, to be brought out occassionally. While I'm not proud of the things I did while drinking, quitting has made me much more aware of my feelings (and others) than I ever was pre-drunk! Sometimes I don't like the feelings, but I'd never want to drink them into oblivion again. I also have made sure that I am very open about my sobriety. Most people think of alcoholics as the drunk in the bar or the guy passed out on the corner, but we are all over the place, disguised as normal, everyday folks. If you need to talk, everything you tell me is anonymous (don't post a comment here, obviously) and I'll be happy to help. Life is to be lived full of colors (however rollar-coaster'y it may be), not faded out with alcohol (or drugs).

4 comments:

  1. Biggest, bestest congratulations, Ruth! You have done a huge, very hard, wonderful thing and you deserve one heckuva lot of praise. Be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thing to celebrate & be grateful for! We're glad you're here, drink free and joyful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you and we haven't even gotten to hug in person! (Yet. I firmly believe we WILL someday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ruth! What a wonderful anniversary to celebrate - I admire you greatly.

    ReplyDelete