Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Proud momma!

I've always thought of myself as a anti-school traditional sort, I tried out for cheerleading, didn't make it (too clumsy), was horrible in basketball, was a low-score student, never went to a single formal high-school dance (okay, not from rebellion, I didn't get asked), etc.

Then, I had children.  Every time one of my 3 beautiful daughters tried out and was in a sport, made honor roll, got student of the month, etc., I just tooted their (and my) horn.

Imagine my excitement when our youngest, Lyndsey, was selected by her peers to be Junior Homecoming Princess.  Lyndsey is a 4.0 GPA student, works 2 jobs, is 5', 9 1/2" tall and is a "good" girl, and I mean that.  No drugs, drinking, sex, etc. and yes, she is that honest with me, and I believe her.  She was surprised she got voted in, because though she gets a long with everyone, she doesn't subscribe to the common "sleaze factor" that the "popular" girls have. 

 
 
This picture is a little deceiving, as her dad is 6'4".  Lyndsey had heels on (for the first time ever).  She had surgery 4 years ago at Shriners for her in-toeing, and still isn't comfortable walking in heels.  If you look at the bottom of her skirt, you can see one negative result of the surgery.  It left pockets of "fatty muscle" that the doctors have never seen before.  It frustrates her, but she refuses to hide her scars or the "pockets".

 
Lyndsey and her good friend Jake and best friend Emily (who, as a senior, was voted Homecoming Queen).  Only seniors were eligible to be queen, and Emily won out of 4 girls.  The best part is, she's a "good" girl too.  Maybe good girls are starting to make a comeback. 

 
From left to right, myself (yes, I am only 5'2" so I'm short, but the girls had heels on, in my defense, tho they really are tall), Lyndsey in her sparkly glory, her best friend Emily, (who is graduating this year-Lyndsey is so upset), and Emily's mom, Gretchen.  Gretchen is the math teacher at the high school.  All 3 of our girls have had her as a teacher and love her.  She and her husband Jay have a son, Kyle, who is 14, and has pretty severe autism. He is a  handsome young man and appears totally normal, but unfortunately the autism causes some severe emotional outbreaks. Our middle daughter has worked for them as a care provider and our oldest daughter is currently working for them.  They are a wonderful family.  We are grateful to have them in our lives.
 
But I am wandering off topic.  Here I am, the most awkward, non-conforming member of what high-school would consider the "norm", and I wanna shout it from the rooftops-I HAVE  A DAUGHTER WHO IS HOMECOMING PRINCESS!  I guess no matter how much I say it doesn't matter, inside, it really does. 
 
 
Have a great Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. I think it doesn't have as much to do with the "award" or label of "junior homecoming queen" as it does with knowing (and having it confirmed!) that your daughter is such a beautiful (inside and out) young woman. You should be literally busting your buttons in that you've raised her in this day and age to be as she is when society condones and even praises young girls/women who are NOT morally upright or maintain an honest work ethic.

    She has a gorgeous smile that lights up her face. (Her dad's smile in the picture with her is pretty awesome, too!)

    My daughter is 5'9" also and although I have one inch on you (I'm 5'3") I can totally relate to the picture where you and Lyndsey are standing together!

    Big congrats to both you and Lyndsey! You have every right to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Pea said it so well, so I will just "second that"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Congrats!!! (And I agree with what Mama Pea said...so I won't restate it... but you have every right to be proud!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I;ll be glad to get my new reading glasses ,I had to read that one sentence over 3x/I thought it said she and my husband had a son--sorry I really read it that way,I thought -oh,well it's a small community and all lol congrats to you and Lyndsey,she is beautiful as all your daughter are

    ReplyDelete