Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Storm preparedness...

I am sending prayers, positive vibes, good thoughts, etc. to those facing this storm.  Images I have seen are horrible, and I am saddened to hear of lives lost.  I fear some of the lives lost will be because of someone doing something unsafe, or because of not being aware of being prepared. 

I live on the southern Oregon coast, where, from October to February (sometimes longer) we experience storms with heavy rains (last week we got over 4" in less than 14 hours) and high winds (sustained gusts of 75 mph are not uncommon).  Of course, we are used to it here, and building codes, flood plains, etc are set to reflect the weather that we get.  Storms like "Sandy" are something that is out of the ordinary, and it's hard to be ready for them, in the full scope of it.

Even when we have a minimal issue, like the power going out for a few hours, I notice some people panic.  They're at the store, trying to buy supplies with debit cards that don't work (no power), and loading up on things like flashlights, water, etc. It's the little things we don't think about-no gas because the pumps don't work, no cash to buy things because the machines don't work, etc. that will cause the most problems.

I feel like we are pretty well set here at our lil' farm, we have a wood stove  and a propane grill that we could cook on (or at least heat up food), and boil water (for drinking), lots of candles and oil lamps for light, we have a creek and spring for other water needs (when our electricity goes out, we'll lose our water to the house), food wise we are well set up, but I don't think we have enough gas to keep the generator going for the meat in the freezer, so I'll need to do some canning, to take that worry off my mind. Also, I think I need to not let us get below 7 bales of alfalfa, which would last about a month for the sheep.  I would cook up beans and rice (and carrots out of the garden) for the dogs to eat (we are well stocked on those and it's too expensive to stock up too much on dog food.)  The chickens I would let free range if I ran out of scratch.  They'd make it okay.  The cell phones would not get charged, maybe I need to think about a way to keep at least one of them charged.  And, I'm guilty of not having enough gas in the vehicles or cash on hand. Hmmmm... those are tough ones with being financially on a tight string.

How about you?  Even if you live in an area where you usually aren't affected by storms or "acts of nature", could you manage a week without power?  How about 2 or 3 weeks?  I think anyone can make it one or two days, but after that?  Think a minute and decide what little thing you can do to make it just a little easier for you to be ready.

3 comments:

  1. Not everyone is financially able to buy supplies or even physically able to get out to get them. If you know of anyone like this make sure to check on them and make sure they are okay or bring them some supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of us "homesteaders" or folks who choose to live "out and away" have a good jump start on being prepared for come what may. Who of us wouldn't add to our stash of back-up supplies if finances allowed? (Gee, that's kind of fun to fantasize about . . . like what we would purchase/stock up on if we had free reign!) I like to think we're in pretty good shape, but I know we'd learn something (I hope the lesson wouldn't be too harsh!) if we were left strictly to our own devices for a long period of time. But think how much better off we'd all be if EVERYONE did all they could to be prepared!? Every little bit would help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Ruth, I agree we are well set up, but never seem able to have the means or equipment to store fuel, and cash? LOL that's the one good thing about "apocalypse" scenarios, money will be worthless - good thing since I have none of it haha! It's always nice to know that those of us who crave simpler living are usually more prepared than the usual sights we see racing around before the storm :)

    ReplyDelete