Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Murphy's Law

We live out in what some would call the woods.  30 years ago, it was.  I grew up watching wildlife wander through my childhood home, and none of my friends wanted to sleep outside because of the fear of being eaten alive.  Now, as the population grows, I just call it out of town.

However, we do have deer in the yard, bear and cougar that meander through occassionally, fox and raccoons.  Also for the last few years, we've had a local beaver family building a tree and rock dam below our bridge.  I mentioned it to my friend, (at least I think I can call him that-LOL) John Silveira, famous writer (or infamous, as the case may be) for Backwoods Home Magazine and author of the ad that created the idea behind the movie "Safety Not Guaranteed". He was pretty excited to get to see the beaver's creation and maybe actually get some photos of them at work. I promised I'd call him when we started seeing the building begin. Guess what?  They barely built a thing this year and we barely saw them at all.  The gnawed a couple of alders down and that was it. No photos to be taken here.

So, last night the salmon made it up our creek, as they've been doing every year for decades.  I remember wading in the creek and grabbing them by their tails as a little girl.  I texted John and said "Salmon in the creek". He replied and said "Chloe (his camera) and I will be there tomorrow to get some pictures."  He came out and we walked down to our bridge (where I saw 2 salmon this morning) and nope, nadda.  We walked up to the neighbor's bridge, where there were 2 or 3 last night, being chased by an otter.  No, of course not.  We walked further up the creek to the next bridge where they always hang out and spawn.  Not a dang, darned, cotton picking fish to be seen.  I think John is starting to think I'm nuts... either that, or that I'm stalking him, in a reverse way, dragging him out to our property to see the invisible wildlife.  Hopefully, tonight, before the rain really starts, I will see them again and get him out here in time to know that I'm not hallucinating, really, I'm not.

In the meantime, check out the great photos of our local wildlife on his blog at Backwoods Home, titled "Where We Live". 

4 comments:

  1. Obviously, both your beavers and salmon have heard you'd invited a photographer out. The beavers must be in the witness protection program (don't want their pictures published) and the salmon are just basically shy.

    Or . . . you've been hallucinating again. ;o}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting back in touch with those bloggers.... you have been busy too! Would love to see pictures of those beaver workers - maybe next time :) Congrats on the big buck too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're stalking him. Totally. Because he's one smart guy! (I read his stuff in BHM - longtime subscriber.) Those pesky animals...they just can't cooperate for anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was awesome for you growing up there

    ReplyDelete