Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

When things go wrong...

Oh my goodness... sometimes I wonder what my Higher Power is thinking... (A quick definition for you, since I am in a 12 step program...)
Higher Power:A self-defined Power greater than ourselves to which we ultimately turn for assistance and guidance in our sober lives. In our drinking days, alcohol was the Higher Power. In sobriety, we choose a different kind of Power to fulfill our purposes.
I know life is full of things, good, bad, etc.  I have had to do some changing recently, both in life and thinking. I am trying to live a simpler, more minimalistic lifestyle and am working hard to turn my negative thoughts into positive actions.  I did a lot of serious thinking when I was on my trip with my mom and sister, and immediately started making changes.  Not huge ones (well, except for spending my big win of $999.99 on a bill, some much needed groceries and hay), but things like putting change in a jar at the end of the day instead of spending it on a candy bar, paying off little bills with the sale of vegies, etc, instead of going to DQ for lunch, etc.  Also, my marriage has not been good, and I decided if I wanted it to be better, I needed to work on that also.  So, hubby has been planning a big hunting trip and I've been working hard to help him get ready.  He's so excited.

Enter today... the old truck was acting funny, so we took it in, thinking it needed timed and tuned.  No, of course not!  It's got a cracked head!  Over $1200 in repairs. It's not really worth putting that money into the truck, not to mention the fact we don't have it.  However, we can't afford any more debt right now in the form of a car payment and higher insurance.  For the $1200 plus another $1000 we could get a newer truck, but we simply don't have it.  So, Lyndsey will be driving us around... this could get complicated-she has two jobs and work experience she has to make it to. 

So, looks like Steve's trip is cancelled, he's out the money he spent on his tags and license and he can't deer hunt here local because it was a special two-week hunt. And to top it off, we don't have a vehicle now.  I just want to cry....

  • View Blog
  • Don't Quit

    When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

    Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about,
    When he might have won if he'd stuck it out.
    Don't give up, though the pace seems slow -
    You may succeed with another blow.

    Often the goal is nearer than
    It seems to a faint and faltering man;
    Often the struggler has given up
    When he might have captured the victor's cup,
    And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

    Success is failure turned inside out -
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are -
    It may be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
    It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

    Author Unknown
     

    5 comments:

    1. Ruth, you are taking the right approach on everything and I wish I could give you a big hug and a standing ovation. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that everything will immediately start coming up roses. Hang in there! (And please tell me some of your favorite colors.)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the encouragement, Michelle. It seems like it's been this way all my life, but I keep remindingmyself it could be worse. I am a fall color person... browns, rusts, dark greens, "foggy, warm" colors-that makes no sense, but I hope you can visualize it. Like early in the season colors.

        Delete
    2. Oh Ruth, I am sorry. Things seem to dump on us doesn't it? Steve not have a buddy to take him hunting with? If I could I would send Husband your way. I really don't mind you guys borrowing him, but alas you are too far! Hugs to you guys. I know how disappointments can crush spirits.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Aw shoot, Ruth! Change is NEVER easy and, like Michelle, I give you loads of support and credit for taking the bull by the horns and jumping into some helpful changes. Is there any way Steve can go on his trip by riding with someone else? Taking a bus to meet up with someone who is going but maybe lives a ways from you? Sometimes thinking outside the box helps.

      I'm sending up prayers to the Truck Fairy in hopes that something can be worked out for your transportation. That's pretty necessary (a vehicle) in this day and age so I can imagine how upsetting the situation is. Hugs and hugs and support from Minnesota.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hang in there, Ruth. You've worked so hard to get this far, it's bound to get better. That is a drawback of our lifestyle - we all need our vehicles. There's no walking to the store out here. Sending hugs and prayers to Mama Pea's Truck Fairy that it works out for you.

      ReplyDelete