Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Question? Minimalistic homesteader! Can it be done?

I am doing a little research on minimalism... I have to much stuff (both in my house and on my mind) and and starting to think about my priorities.  You know the story... a collection that starts with vintage vegie/fruit shaped jam and jelly jars and now has grown to include cookie jars, pitchers, bowls, etc (in my case).  Or the recipe books that you pick up at a yard sale because the cover looks neat... or the list of all things in your mind that you need/want to do that won't turn off at night.

However, as a homesteader, there are some things that are needed... canning jars (if I see a few cheap at a sale, I pick them up), waterer/feeders for animals, garden tools (yes, as a matter of fact I do need at least 2 shovels).

Do you think a person (in this case, me) can successfully lead a minimalistic-type (I am keeping my bigscreen tv and laptop, no question) homesteading lifestyle?

7 comments:

  1. I would say that you could absolutely do it! I'm living proof LOL, 900 sq feet, 4 people, 2 bedrooms, no closets, no garage yet I can/preserve like crazy, creative storage is the way - and of course you can't have junk - there's a couple of big rules in our house: 1. if we haven't used it, needed it or missed it in 12 months, it's gone 2. any type of furniture/big item needs to have at least 2 purposes (such as kitchen storage islands must be on wheels so I can repurpose them in the craft area, etc. Enjoy it Ruth, it's a very rewarding challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I went from approximately 900 square feet to 2100 square feet, so I have room and actually the house isn't stuffed full, but I like your idea for 2 purposes... I also want counters as clear as possible, etc. I will be picking your brain for suggestions.

      Delete
  2. I am getting rid of a lot of stuff and I use to consider myself a hoarder .I don't know what the future holds for me so I'm slowly giving away a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, good for you for looking forward rather than backwards... I am not a hoarder, but my older sister is. I had to go through her stuff after she had her stroke and that woke me up a lot. I just want less around me right now.

      Delete
  3. I hope so. Books are my downfall. When I started homesteading I saw it as a great excuse to start a brand-new library. But aside from books, I am pretty good. I find I need very little in the kitchen - a good heavy knife, a skillet, a giant stockpot, a cutting board. Mixing bowl. The only electric gadget I use is a blender, and I use it a lot.

    I don't care for clothes and am happy to keep wearing the same five outfits until they fall apart. Ten years ago I spent a boatload of money on leather couches and I expect them to last until doomsday. I think it's better to spend the money on a few quality items you really love and don't waste time, money, or space on anything lesser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a book-aholic, but weeding down to what I will re-read again and again... Clothes wise, I buy used, but I will admit I'm not getting rid of a lot. I have a vision of a tsunami or end-of-world as we know it scenario happening and so I'm hanging onto shirts, jeans, blankets, etc in my closet so I am prepared.

      Delete
  4. Well, that's just it. How do you pare things down to the bare minimum and yet feel as if you're prepared for whatever may come your way? So many of us strive to be as self-sufficient as we can which means we need the tools to "do for ourselves" rather than hiring someone to do it for us. If we are going to be able to take care of ourselves and loved ones, well then, we sure do need two shovels! (And twice as many buckets!)

    ReplyDelete