Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Waving the white flag...

I am surrendering... this year I wanted all of my garden to be started by seeds that I planted and nutured in my greenhouse. 

I got a slow start... tomatoes, watermelon, cabbage,sunflowers and basil and peppers were are started one weekend.  Then, life got ahead of me.  I finally got some more tomatoes planted a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I am looking at the calendar and realizing I'm short on time.  I have enough tomatoe starts, but I need cucumbers, squash, etc.  My beets, beans, carrots, turnips, etc will all start by seed in the garden, but the others need a head start.  Reality is, life is too busy right now and the clock is ticking.  I have decided that I'll use what I have started and spend the money to purchase the rest at a reliable nursery.  I feel bad, but it's been a rough few months and the stress is not worth the cost at this point.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the first nice day of the year and we have fence to string.  We have lambs that need weaned now, and we need the fence up to move the mommas into their own area.  I am looking forward to the physical labor... I know I will be aching tomorrow, but it will be worth it. It will be good aches and pains, knowing that something we need was accomplished by our hands and will be benefit our animals, who deserve it.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, full of hope, joy and faith.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, Ruth, you shouldn't feel bad at all. Your life is so full all the time and you throw in a little extra stress now and then and none of us can be expected to cope with that on top of the big job of starting seeds for the garden. Even with our short growing season, I find anything I can plant directly in the garden does so much better than being started indoors and then transplanted. I never start cucs or squash inside anymore.

    I think with what you've got on your plate this year, you're not waving the white flag but rather the smart flag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so confused with your growing season,do you ever really have winter?silly question ,I know ,I don't travel much. ♣♣♣♣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are short on time at all, here it is 3 days after you posted and the East Coast has snow LOL! Don't worry, you will be successful regardless in your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad. I'm getting ready for transplanting and realize I forgot peppers. 18 tomatoes, 12 eggplant (we will never need that much eggplant!!) but not a single green pepper plant. So I'll see you at the nursery :) stevie@ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com

    ReplyDelete