Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Highs and lows of farming.

Well, it's the weekend, thank goodness.  While I've enjoyed my time husbandless, work was stressful this week (a recently fired employee filed a grievance and we've all been trying to support our boss, so I've been on edge.)

Last weekend, Lyndsey's first official sale of one of her offspring took place (I'm not counting the auction and backup lamb sale from last year.)  A lady and her daughter drove over 4 hours one way (in the major storm) to pick up Lupine and take him home with him.  He will be the breeding ram for the daughter's 4-H flock (the cycle continues).  I was excited, plus I got to meet someone that I had only talked to on facebook, so that was neat. 

Olivia and Lupine, ready to head out (real farmers don't always have trucks to haul critters in)


Lupine and his new "girls" at his new home.



A few weeks ago, Lyndsey did a fund raiser for her upcoming trip in March of 2013 to the French Riviera, Switzerland and Italy.  We called it "Lyndsey's Lend-a-Lamb" and she and her dad spent 6 plus hours taking a lamb around to various businesses.  It started with one person making a donation to send the lamb to someone.  That person then had to make a donation to send the lamb away.  She used both of the youngest lambs, splitting them up into two rounds.  People enjoyed it and she made $370. 

The lil' ram lamb and one of my co-workers.



 I noticed then that the little ewe seemed a bit weaker (she was the stronger one at birth) and was smaller than her brother.  She was still nursing and eating grain, but I thought I'd supplement with bottle starting tomorrow.  We came home tonight and I noticed she wasn't with the flock.  I got a sick feeling, but thought maybe she was just napping.  No such luck... we'd lost her.  I picked up her body, took it to the garage and placed it in a black garbage bag and put it in the freezer.  Now, I admit, that sounds odd, huh?  Lyndsey and one of her girl friends have flesh-eating beetles at school, they need regular feeding, and Lyndsey can get extra credit on the carcass from her science teacher.  The poor mama ewe got a little worried when she discovered the body was not in the lean-to where she left it. Luckily she has the ram lamb to take care of.


I am sad... but we've been lucky, in two years and 9 lambs born here at home, this is the first loss.  And I am sure, if we keep breeding, it won't be the last.


Feeling a headache coming on, heading to bed way early (7:30 pm)...

4 comments:

  1. gosh,I get so sad when one of my homestead family friends lose one of there animals ,it is just so sad ,I'm such a sap ,ya know,sorry ,the little one did not make it,but if I read correctly .Lyndsey might be off to Europe? wow,she will have a blast .my niece Mariah got to live in a castle and go to school over there for awhile

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always hard when we lose a lamb/kid/goat/sheep. It does sound like you've had very good luck, though, so you're doing something right. Great idea for a fundraiser! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, there are always the highs and lows. The lows always hurt, some more than others, but the highs really do happen most of the time so sometimes focusing on can help us over the low spots. As Susan said, you're definitely doing right by your animals so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear, but you are right, there will be others. Too bad about the drama at work, that's always tough.

    ReplyDelete