Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Monsoon weather?

Okay, I live on the Southern Oregon coast. It rains here, and I mean, a lot. We have rain that falls down in the spring and fall, and rain that falls sideways in the winter. Normally by now though, we are winding down. It's been quite a strange weather year throughout the world. We had dry months in October, November, December and January, receiving only a portion of our yearly rainfall. The last month, it's been catching up. We've had a lot of roads around us start to slide on 101 on both sides of our town, and that's our only road that we get supplies on. The road we drive daily to town has a spot that slides constantly, it is always being patched. If that slides, we can go the other direction, adding about 20 miles to our drive. That's not a big deal, but it floods regularly.

A big storm is forecast, with up to 10-15 inches of rain in 3 days, along with wind. The wind is supposed to come in tonight, and the rain starts tomorrow. This could be bad. We could have slides, power outages, etc. It's hard to tell if this will really hit, lately the predictions haven't been 100% spot on. I don't believe that weather can accurately be forecast, there are too many variables. However, I do believe in erring on the side of caution. That is why there are containers of water on the back porch for cooking (if the power goes out, the water pump stops working), and I will make sure the cell phones are charged up. Luckily, other than that, we are pretty good. We have some cash on hand if the ATM's aren't working and we're pretty stocked up. I think I will fill the propane tank tomorrow and pick up a bag of dog food as we are almost out.

I am finding out through my job at the city that a large amount of people totally depend on the system to take care of them. There's a plugged storm drain, a tree down on a city road, a creek overflowing? I get a phone call telling me to get the crew out there asap. If the cell phone lines get cut, people panic.

I find myself almost hoping a minor "disaster" occurs to remind people to be prepared. Since I love a good storm, it wouldn't bother me much, except Lyndsey is due to leave town Friday for a 4-H trip, we have a lady driving 3 hours to pick up the ram lamb Lyndsey sold, Steve leaves Monday for a 2 week training (he'll be home on the weekend in between) AND I am worried the pig shed will be within flood range. That's probably the worst thing. I really don't want to have to relocate them, even temporarily.

Well, no since in worrying until it happens. Last week, a couple of slides just up the road from us started moving. The electric company cleaned it up because it was threatening power lines. The biggest one moved again today. I thought it was interesting that one of the neighbors who was stuck on the other side and couldn't get to work called me and assumed I would call around and get it taken care of. Mind you, I had to go to work. Hello! Steve said it's because people know I can't refuse to help. Guess what? I'm getting better at it. I made a couple of suggestions via e-mail, but other than that I let it go. It wasn't blocking us, and I did offer to pick them up groceries and take care of her horses that were in at the local fairgrounds if needed. I am just continually amazed. Oh well...


This morning, almost totally across the road, and the bank was sliding on the creek side.

The hillside this morning...

So, if the power goes out or you hear about a lil' town in Oregon cut off from the rest of civilization, you'll know why there are no new posts.

8 comments:

  1. oh gosh Ruth,stay safe ,keep Lyndsey home,and get a hold of mother nature ,tell her to put a hold on the weather ,you guys have had enough already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Lyndsey says she want's to go, but I just saw a message where the road slid North of us and it's closed for at least the night, so we will see.

      Delete
  2. Good to know you and your family are in good shape and ready for what the weather will bring. Hoping you don't end up being anywhere near the worst of the forecast storm. Post when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think we are going to get as much rain as they predicted, so that's a relief, re: the flooding. The poor sheep are miserable.

      Delete
  3. Hope the storm doesn't get as bad as the weather guys are predicting, but glad you are getting ready for it as if it were. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I am sitting in the house right now with the wood stove heating the house but the door open so I can hear the sound of the rain...LOL

      Delete
  4. Well, the wind and rain are pretty intense here today, so I'm assuming you're getting hit there. Glad I squeezed in a ride between showers yesterday morning; today and tomorrow there will be no "between showers"! I do think us farm girls are more practical than many others in the world; we have to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's coming down pretty hard. Just heard the road is closed north of us, I haven't told Lyndsey yet, as I don't want her to be freaking about her trip. My poor sheep are miserable!

      Delete