Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, March 30, 2012

1 direction closed!

The road is closed north of us.  I am waiting to tell Lyndsey until we get in the car that if they go south they will be adding an extra 4 hours to their drive.  Why am I waiting, you ask?  Because yesterday she was a rude lil' brat, getting mad at me for telling her I might make the decision she couldn't go because I didn't want her on the other side of the slide.  She told me she was old enough to decide things like that and Steve agreed with her, saying I was being paranoid.

Okay, maybe I am... so, I have my "mood" on, and when I tell her that she gets to spend all that extra time in the car with a couple of girls she has said "annoy" her, I shall smile broadly and say nothing. And if the road slides in the other direction and she becomes stuck in a motel with those said girls, and Steve starts to complain (because he will), I will smile even broader and say nothing.

Yes, I can be a witch! Don't push me!

8 comments:

  1. That's not being a witch, that's letting someone deal with the consequences of their own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree TOTALLY with Carolyn! Keep smiling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot state strongly enough how glad I am that those dreaded teenager years are over of a daughter thinking she knows EVERYTHING and is old enough to make her own decisions! Call me terribly out-of-date with the world if anybody wants to, but as long as a child is a teenager and living under my roof (without means of self-support or a fully-matured brain), the parent gets to make what they feel is the correct decision. (Geesh and holy cow, who the heck pushed my button?? Apologies, soap box is going back under the bed now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't be out of date Mama Pea, because I agree with you and I have a 10-year-old boy (of course, I AM of an older generation at age 50!). The parents should definitely have the final say when someone is living under their roof -- including grown kids, IMHO! But since Ruth doesn't have the dad's backing, she's in a tough spot. Also, as our kids get older, they DO need to have more freedom to make some decisions -- AND suffer the consequences when they make poor decisions. That's just good life training.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely correct, Michelle. How are our kids going to learn to make good decisions if we don't give them a chance to "practice?" I think where I was coming from was the Mama Bear Syndrome. With the current weather conditions in Ruth's neck of the woods, what if the OTHER road does go out and Lyndsey can't get home? In truth, she'd be all right until something was figured out but as a mom I'd be very uneasy until she was able to get back home. (Motel rooms are expensive! ;o])

      Thinking it all over, because Ruth and her hubby don't agree in this situation, Ruth probably is handling it in the very best way.

      Delete
  4. Ruth, you're cracking me up! I can't wait to hear how the conversation with Lyndsey went. It's tough to parent when Mom and Dad don't always agree, but that same disagreement can also lead to a more balanced kid, so it's worth it in the long run.

    BTW, I'm blowing out eggs tonight so I can decorate the whole shells if you want to join me. I don't like hardboiled eggs and will make quiche with the yolks and whites. I will attempt to bake cake in the decorated shells with the 4h group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, they made it to their destination, with the 4 hours extra added on. Lyndsey was pretty quiet when I told her about the extra time, maybe realizing she had no argument she could make. The road was opened to one lane at 4 pm this afternoon. Steve hasn't said much (I think they both picked up on my mood). Maybe I was being paranoid, but I think we'll have a family meeting after he comes back from training about Mom's opinion being valued also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this one, oh... I can't WAIT until my kids are that age.... HA!!!!

    ReplyDelete