Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Winter equals rest on the farm? Nobody told my farm that!

Monday night we are having 4 Angus/Holstein cross steer calves delivered to our house. They are going to be a day or two old, with their first colostrum and banded. We are going to raise all 4 to weaning, then the guy who paid for all 4 calves will pick up his two and we will take our two out to pasture, which belongs to a friend. In return for our calf spending a year and a half on her lush pasture, we will give her the second calf. Did you follow that all.

Then, 3 of our 4 ewes are expecting and due soon, and we are probably going to be driving to Central Point (3 1/2 hours away) to pick up a nice ram lamb to use as Lyndsey's breeding ram.

Yikes. I haven't forgotten my book giveaway, either, just need a few spare minutes to hang out on the 'puter.

I need to get off of here and go find my calf bottles and other necessities. I love babies, but oh boy, what I did I get into.

4 comments:

  1. exciting news for you ,how soon until you have beef in the freezer . book giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been busy... I personally don't think there are any times, or seasons on a farm when things are easy,just different chores for different seasons...but always busy ! Blessings Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! It's amazsing sometimes what you will do to put a little food on the table! Take a look at my post "Worm food Preps". All of this work will add to the produce from the garden. See, even now I'm working the garden in a way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IS there ever a slow time on a farm??

    ReplyDelete