Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

God willin' and the creek don't rise!

The creek did rise... wow! We had one heck of a windstorm last night (99 mph gusts not to far from us) and LOTS of rain. They dismissed school early today and I made the decision to come home then, because I didn't want to get stuck away from home by floodwaters with all the babies to feed.

The water was high when I got home, but it dropped quickly after the rain stopped. A lot of our county was affected... slides taking out roads, blocking roads, taking out a fire hydrant, creeks flooding, stranding folks, etc. I was amazed at how many people called the City where I work, upset because of how it was affecting them. One lady wanted to know what our city workers could do to stop a small creek from flooding her neighbors' yards. Seriously, come on! Another lady couldn't understand why we couldn't just go cut down a tree on her neighbor's property that might go into the creek.

A guy who used to work at the city (he was the head of the Water and Sewer department) told me today that it has always been that way. I have to agree with something else he said. People want the government to leave them alone until something happens, then they want it all fixed. That's why I believe in preparedness. I don't want to have something like this hit me unprepared. When people loose their water or lights for any amount of time, they don't care that there are human beings putting themselves in danger to restore their service as soon as possible. God forbid you have to light a candle for an hour or so, just get those linemen out there in the 90 mph winds to fix the lines.

Anyway, enough venting. I was actually bummed we didn't lose power for awhile. The storms are done for tonight, but there is a whole bank of storms backed up waiting. Here are some pictures of our property and the neighbor's when the water was high today.


Looking downstream from our bridge.
Looking upstream.

My sister's lower field...

The back of my orchard.

Lost one of our smaller fir trees... too much water and not enough root system.

 Upset chickens.



My shepard mix, Bo, going for a swim at my sisters....




4 comments:

  1. Boy, When it rains, it POURS! But when the dry spell hits this coming summer (and it will!), you will look at the pictures and think...If only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos! Hope everything drains quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of water! Hope the chickens (and everything else) are dry and happy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping by now the weather has taken a turn for the better for you. Water can do so much damage in a little time. Give me snow any day! Waiting for a post to let us know you're okay.

    ReplyDelete