Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Babies, babies, everywhere.

I have had a hell of a week. My oldest daughter is having severe marriage problems-scary ones, I can't go into detail. The middle daughter, who got laid off from Borders when they closed a few months ago, told me today she'll be laid off from Blockbuster's when they close in February. Then, today, a situation with someone I thought I knew who had purchased a Angus/Holstein cross in a deal I helped set up accused me of cheating him and being greedy because he believe I deliberately gave him the weakest animal. I gave him the one I thought looked most beefy... Anyway, long story short, I went and gave him back his money and brought the calf home today. He may or may not make it, he's one of those with no real suck reflex, so we may have to take a few days working to get him to realize he actually likes the bottle.

But, life has ways to help keep your mind off of things. Yesterday at 6:15 pm, my greenhouse filled up with 5 Angus/Holstein day old bottle calves. We had been keeping an eye on Lyndsey's ewe, Two, who was getting more and more uncomfortable with each day, and she was in the birthing shed. She was the ewe the fair judge had said would have problems delivering due to a small "vaginal vault" and I was nervous. I checked her at , still just the same as the last few days (a little mucus, a little cranky, not eating much, tho my nickname for her is Hoover). At 9:15 pm, before I headed to bed, I checked her again. Hmmm... guess what... a little "red" bag was protruding from her backside. I ran inside, hollered to Steve and Lyndsey "gonna have babies" and grabbed the phone to call my friend Chris who had offered to be there to help. We sat outside the "nursery" bundled up, drinking hot chocolate, in lawn chairs. Lyndsey was eating pretzels for the salt and had a "cold pack" from the freezer in case she got too dizzy (she doesn't handle "gooey stuff" well. By midnight, we had twins (one ewe and one ram) on the ground, with no help from us, except for rubbing them down with warm towels. Momma Two was rumbling with happiness and Steve, Lyndsey, Chris and I all had goosebumps. It was the first full birth Steve, Lyndsey and I had seen for animals(except for cats and dogs). I worked for a midwife so I saw lots of human babies born, but watching instinct kick in for the ewe brought a whole new enlightenment to me. Being as they were born on a full moon, Lyndsey has decided to name them Luna and Lupin (derived from Lupuinus, mean meaning wolf). I will post pictures of them soon. Got to bed at about 1:30 am, up at 5:45 am to feed the calves. Ran home at noon to check Two and the babies, and low and behold, our other Suffolk, Stacy, had gifted us with twin ewes. Wow! Then tonight I brought home the weak calf. So, from 5 pm yesterday to 5 pm today, we went from no babies to 4 lambs and 6 calves. Dang! Glad the lambs are nursing good on momma!

Headed to bed... My brain is dead.

6 comments:

  1. so exiting,even if you were left with little sleep to move through life. fudge off mister nobody who was mean to you and distrustful.you have a million to one on him Ruth.hope the little guy makes it.push on,your doing great,sending hugs in case your in need

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's amazing sometimes what we are asked to deal with. I hope things work out whichever way is best for your daughter. Congrats on the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all the farm babies! And sending you good vibes for all those icky ones you've had to deal with lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things get better soon for your daughters,and congrats on those babies. Hang in there things will improve,at least I hope and soon ! Blessings Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a mix of events. No wonder your brain is dead. Hope things settle down and you can enjoy those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it helps to have the good things (the baby animals) to keep us from worrying so much about the not so good things. I can understand how you must feel like you're on overload. Sending best thoughts and wishes that things work out for both your older girls.

    ReplyDelete