Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Full time, fiber workshop, food preservation!

Well, it's official. I am the new, full-time Utility/Payroll Clerk for the City of Gold Beach, Oregon. Don't yet know what my hourly pay will be, but full medical/dental/optical insurance (for $300 a month out of my pocket) and Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, with weekends and major holidays off. We will get rid of Steve's medical/dental/optical insurance, getting some cash back into his paycheck. His insurance has been Providence, which has progressively gotten worse, and starting in January, we would have been paying $25 a month because my waist was over 35" around, and $25 a month because he smokes. So, we are avoiding that. Yes, I need to lose weight, and he need needs to quit, but charging us for it won't help. While I am going to miss all my free time, it is a relief to not be worrying about my unemployment running out.

Today we held a fiber workshop at my house. There is a small group of women who have been trying to get together on a regular basis to learn or practice new things. A few months ago we had a bread baking get-together, last month was a watercolor felting class. A distant relative of mine offered to come over and teach us to dye wool, to card wool (using her drum carder), a quick spinning lesson, and then we did some felting using a rock to make a pouch, or bowl. We used some Friesion wool that I got from my shearer. It was a lot of fun. A few weeks ago, I did my first skirting and washing of the Friesian fleece. The washing was a lot of ework. My relative had me wash it in my bathtub. The fleece was pretty dirty, and I will truthfully say that I don't know if I'll keep doing it. Anyhow, the workshop get-together was a lot of fun. The next one will be crocheting pot scrubbies out of nylon mesh netting and learning the basics of cotton crocheted rugs. One of the women calls our get-togethers 4-H for grown-ups.

With working full-time for the last 4 weeks (started out being a week and a half), my major food preserving has gone to the wayside. I am amazingly tired, going to bed at about 9:30 pm without getting much accomplished but dinner. So, I've been doing a lot of dehydrating-carrots, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, etc. I dried some of the Stevia from my plants, and I tried it in tea today. Yum! I found out the dehydrating takes the metallic aftertaste away from the Stevia, which is nice. I do need to do my bread and butter pickles and my pickled carrots. It's so hard to squish everything into a weekend. Yikes!

Well, it's time to go pick out work clothes. Luckily, the city administrator, who was in the same office I was for the county, gave me quite a few pairs of work pants and a couple pairs of shoes that are nice, so with the shirts I have in my closet, I can pull together an outfit fairly quickly.

Have a week full of hope, joy and faith!

4 comments:

  1. so nice you have someone the same size as you for work clothes ,i can remember that always being a pain in the butt-wish i could add a few extra hours to your home time clock.You just get use to all those hours of trying to figure out how to keep busy and than boom-your busy every second of the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I think I keep my job for the Health insurance. Seems like that when I hear how much the premium is..678.00 a month. Its saved my life...literally. Things are looking more promising and I didn't know they measured your waist to put you in a category? Yikes..I better pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on nailing down the job! The benefits sound really good. I know you'd rather be home full-time but they still don't pay us homemakers, do they? I hope the new job turns out to be a really good situation for you.

    I think for anyone working outside the home, organization is the key. Just remember pushing yourself to get everything done that you did when you were home all day is impossible and will only drive you crazy . . . or make you sick. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ruth! I am so happy for you, I know that it will be hard getting all the homestead chores done, but it will be a nice holiday season this year!

    ReplyDelete