Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Employment possibilitie and new addition(s)! Picture heavy!

I had today off to catch up on some needed work that I got behind on while "working" at my temp position. The status of that job is still up in the air. I was asked to commit to 6-8 weeks in a full-time "temp" position that I am hoping will turn into a permanent position. It's frustrating though, not having a firm idea of what is happening for two months. Part of me says refuse to do the temp stuff, stay home and get stuff done here, but truthfully, I enjoy the work environment, though the work is not necessarily rewarding. It is Monday thru the Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, for the local city office. So, I guess I'll hang in there and keep my fingers crossed, because the unemployment won't last forever as much as I'd like it to.

We brought home 3 purebred Romney ewes, hopefully bred and due mid-January. That is right in time for the lambs for our market auction in July. The owner is moving and selling her flock. She donated the 3 ewes to our local 4-H program. Lyndsey chose one, and the other two are going to two different 4-H families. They are various shades of gray (one is almost brown), so the fleece will be nice also.

The two older ewes... She said they were 3 or 4 years old.  I can't catch them to check their teeth, I'm gonna have to get some help.


Big girls with lots of mass, though they are short compared to our Suffolk ewes...


Bebe (French for baby), Lyndsey's choice of the 3. She is 2 years old, and this is her first lambing, so I'm keeping fingers crossed. She was a bummer lamb, so once her friends are gone to their new homes, I think she'll get tamer.


Carhartt decided to come over and see if I had any apples or turnips.  That's the only time he pays any attention to me.


One of the ewes.


The other one...


Of course, my girl Stacy had to get into the pictures.  I swear, she comes running the minute she sees the camera. She was at a farm the last month and a half with Two, one of Lyndsey's other Suffolks, hopefully being bred and due to lamb mid-January.  That's a whole 'nother story, as I'm pretty upset about the situation that developed. Anyhow, even though Stacy is officially Lyndsey's, she and I have a pretty special relationship.  She's like a best friend, always there to listen... (well, without telling me her opinion).


Well, I'd better get off the computer and go pick out some clothes for work tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't get away with the muddy jeans and farm t-shirt now. Have a week of hope, joy and faith!

4 comments:

  1. so glad your getting back into the hang of things. no one knows whats gonna happen tomorrow,I wish we could. katelynn is here with me looking at the animals-" gramma,why can't we have one?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that last picture of Stacy. No wonder she's a good friend!

    It's the old clone thing. If you could clone yourself, you could be home on the homestead doing your full-time job there. Then the other you could be working full-time outside and bringing in the paycheck. Always a dilemma . . . with no solution. Especially in these economic difficult times. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy is lovely! You're going to be having a whole lot of fun this winter. :) I'm praying you get the perfect job soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes go right for Stacy of course, since I grew up with Suffolks! Very cute photos. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you girlfriend, how awesome it would be it that led to a full time city gig with all the benefits!

    ReplyDelete