Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Monday, September 12, 2011

E-bay question?

I sell stuff on e-bay... my stuff, that I have bought, been given, etc. and I do pretty well with it... however I now have some people who want me to sell stuff for them.

Do any of you do that? I have no clue how to charge them. I will be taking pictures, posting, mailing, etc. I am thinking 50% of the sale price? That will include any mailing supplies (I am cheap, I use used boxes and newspaper, so all I buy is tape) and my gas to get it to the post office to mail it. Obviously they have to set the bottom price they want to start at...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Just something to think about, selling other peoples things will be seen as an income source and the IRS would expect you to report and pay taxes on anything you sell there. You can get away with selling your own merchandise up to a certain figure and I forget how much that is. A couple hundred dollars I think. Since it is on-line, it is traceable and you could be responsible for the taxes on the total sale price on all merchandise you sell. In my area they even come to flea markets to see if you have a tax ID number. They seem to get you coming or going these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane has a point. They DO track sales online and will eventually track you down. You might look into other businesses that do that same thing - and see how they handle it. I'm not sure if they'll share all the data, but you might find someone who is willing to show you the ropes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn IRS WHY DON'T THEY GO AFTER GE-they didn't pay a signal dime in taxes this year---maybe you can find a loop hole,know ant tax experts---but you are still staying busy that really counts for a lot ,for your case I hope so

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done eBay for others, although I used to Craigslist lots of stuff for friends that didn't want the hassle, I guess the shipping part with ebay was too much for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I do have a tax id number, and knew I'd be paying taxes on it, (and getting write-offs, like computer, shipping supplies, etc.), but I didn't think about paying taxes on the whole amount. I'll have to think about that one a bit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Ruth, dear!~ Please check my blog post "Winnahs". Nudge, nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder about the feedback if you sold something that wasn't yours that didn't measure up. I am sure you would describe it accurately, but ya know that feedback can be a real good thing (or not).

    ReplyDelete