Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Some decisions are harder than others!

So, lots going on and I haven't been feeling up to writing. However, I feel that by sharing my thoughts, I can work thru them better, so here goes...

Hubby came home the other day to announce that state employees will probably be going on strike. What that means is that he won't have income for that time, but we won't qualify for help. The union members have been working without a contract since July 1. The current proposal by the "powers that be" will have Steve's net pay being cut by almost $900 a month once he pays the amount for medical insurance, PERS and then takes another furlough day a month. Steve's check pays for our house/property payment ($2086 a month), his gas and his cigarettes with very little left over. My unemployment and temp jobs pay for the rest. So, if he loses that $900 a month we won't be able to make our house payment. Yikes. I am already behind on monthly utilities, and am robbing Peter to pay Paul constantly.

So, I am kicking it up on finding ways to get caught up before we go even further in the hole.

I am going to change our cell phone plan (we don't have a home phone) to fewer minutes, which will be a minimal savings, but will help. There are 5 phones on our plan-Steve's, mine, Lyndsey's, my middle daughter Michelle's, and my older sister Sallie's. I can't really get rid of any of them, so cutting minutes is the way to go. I am going to turn off our cable TV, but we'll be keeping the internet. I do a lot of business and sales thru the 'net and I can write it off on taxes. By getting rid of the cable, we'll go from $105 a month down to $39 a month. I do feel bad because Steve's main form of relaxation at night after working all day and then coming home on working on the property is to fall asleep watching news. I am going to check and see if I can't get a news channel that we can watch thru the WII. I am keeping our netflix going, we only pay $8 or so a month and can watch unlimited movies and tv series on it.

I am going to get some stuff listed for sale on E-bay (stuff that I know will sell) and hope that helps. A friend and I are planning a yard sale (but that won't be til the first of August). I drove an hour to pick up 20 some-odd chickens, and sold most of them. I kept a few and they are laying well, so my egg sales will pick back up a bit.



I also made the decision to find a good home for Chica, my mini-mare. I love her, but reality is that when she was given to me, I was working. Now, even tho she doesn't eat much, she still needs her feet trimmed regularly and that is $40 for 20 minutes of the farrier's time. I have been busy with all the stuff and she doesn't get the attention she needs. I am going to give her away for free, but will ask $100 for the stuff I bought for her (halter, lead, blanket, hoof rasp, etc).

I am panicked a bit, since I still have to buy groceries somehow, but I feel better because of taking the above mentioned steps. Our local county fair is coming up and we'll be saying goodbye to the pigs, which will save quite a bit of money on feed. Since I am the Large Livestock, it also means I have a lot to do, which keeps my mind occupied. I did splurge a bit and Lyndsey and I are going to see the midnight premier of the last Harry Potter movie at midnight Thursday. I promised Lyndsey last year we'd go see the last movie at midnight, and I'm keeping that promise. We are carpooling with a friend, as the theater is 30 miles away and I don't drive well in the dark anymore. I don't know how I'll stay awake... midnight is way past my bedtime and I can't seem to take a nap. However, I love the movies, so excitement will help. I'll have to remind Lyndsey to wear her "dirigible plum earrings" that she made for the last movie!



Wishing you all a week filled with hope, joy and faith!

7 comments:

  1. THough you are facing some tough times, sounds like you have a lot of great ideas to help. Somehow, I feel you'll get through this. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're being super-proactive which is good in so many ways. Don't give going to the movie another wavering thought. I think when we really have to tighten the belts, we can send ourselves into depression because we have NOTHING to look forward to or feel good about. The movie with your daughter is an important thing to do just because of waiting a year for it if nothing more. Shutting off cable is a good move. With Netflix you'll still be able to get lots of entertainment. Popcorn is cheap; have lots of family Netflix nights at home! Here's hoping your hubby's work interruption doesn't last long. And remember we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Ruth, I'm sorry to hear about this latest setback, and it's no small one, either. Being proactive like you are goes a long way towards your mental health through this, you can honestly say you are doing everything you can to live within your limited means, so many people today don't even try. I sure wish all us like minded people could live near each other to help each other out during times like this, Lord knows we all have experienced big setbacks at one point or another, well at least I have! We cut the cable about 2 years ago, we still get several channels after we purchased an HD antenna for about $15 and hooked it up. Go to a website, I think it's AntennaWeb.org... you input your location and it will tell you what channels you will get in your area with an antenna so you can see if it's worth your while before you purchase one. I'm thinking about you friend, and sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the pending strike and changes. We just went through contract negotiations at our hospital. It was painful and I don't thing the breach will ever mend. I will keep you and yours in my prayers. I think everyone is getting hit hard. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sounds tough, but you're really coming up with great ideas. Sorry about your little mare. She's a beauty! I'm praying she gets a great home. May all your efforts pay off bigger than you thought they could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great plan to solve some of your financial problems, good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, well lets just pray that all your needs will be provided for. You've had a rough patch lately. Don't let it get you down. If you keep your head up, your family will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete