Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shearing video!

Wow, I'm beat. Lyndsey and I got up this morning and loaded the 4 girls (ewes) into the back of a borrowed truck with a canopy. It was not a pretty sight. I thought the older ewes would just step off the bank into the truck to get the grain I put in there, but no such luck. Then, after we got the big ones in there and turned to grab the "babies" the big ones jumped out. We were eventually successful, and weren't late getting to the ranch where the shearer was too meet us at 9 am. Of course, the shearer was late-she got her appointments turned around and went to the wrong place. She felt horrible keeping us waiting (there were 5 different people there with about 30 sheep total.

It was well worth the weight. Wendy has sheared for us for the last few years and she really knows her job. It took her just under 3 minutes to shear our big ewe, and that was not even her fastest time today. And she only charges $3.00 a ewe/wether (Ram's are $6.00! I paid her a little extra because it's just so worth it.

We saw a ram today we totally want to use as our ram next year. I didn't get a picture, darn it! He has the longest back I've ever seen on a Suffolk and all this years lambs inherited the length. Unfortunately Diane, the owner, is selling him this year because she has too many of his daughters and granddaughters. She only wants $100 for him, but truthfully, even tho he is a gentle ram, I don't really want a ram on the property. Dang it! We only have 3 ewes, so we really don't need to pay to feed one, etc.

Here's the video, and I'll post the before and after shearing pics tomorrow. I am exhausted and need to take a shower (after shearing I came home and weed-whacked for about 3 hours).

4 comments:

  1. GREAT video! Thanks for sharing.

    I have such admiration for a person who possesses a true craft such as that shearer does! And talk about hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN'T IMAGINE THE HARD WORK YOU DO TO BE A SUSTAINABLE FARMER,SO I WON'T EVEN PRETEND TO! GO RUTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, we really aren't sustainable at all. Not even close. We have to buy all our hay and feed and the large livestock we raise are mainly for Lyndsey's 4-H projects. The garden provides us quite a bit and we are never out of eggs, but that's really just about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth I almost had a heart attack - I first read this and thought you wrote 3 HUNDRED dollars an ewe! I thought "no wonder my dad did it himself" LOL!!! I'm a dork and in serious need of an eye exam...

    great video!

    ReplyDelete