Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garden is planted (for the most part)!

It finally dried up enough here on the Oregon coast for me to get our garden planted. There are still odds and ends to put in, but for the most part, it's done. The two gardens looked great after Steve tilled them.



This is the main bed, this year handling the cucumbers, beets, carrots, turnips, and some pumpkins and corn. These pictures are before the garden was planted.



This is the second bed, where there are four 16' rows of pole beans, a row of dill, marigolds, some corn, pumpkins and gourds.

I've enlarged a couple of the smaller beds here by the house and am filling them with odds and ends. I went to a friends house the other day and she had tucked things all together and it looked so fun. I normally tend to follow the "very organized" path, but I'm gonna switch it up a bit this year I think. I'll take some pictures as things grow.

Lyndsey is off to 4-H camp to be a counselor. She hasn't missed a year since 3rd grade, as either a camper, camp helper or camp counselor. I attended the same camp and I go up every year to help. It's in a beautiful area full of pines, myrtle trees, and huckleberries. I get out of the car and take a deep breath of the scented air and the memories just come flooding back and I'm a kid again!

Today is the first day of summer and I'm hoping it stays nice, as I have lots to do. I wasn't planning on going to town today, but a friend told me the hardware store he works at is getting a large plant order in, so I think I may have to make a quick trip.

Have a summer filled with hope, joy and faith!

5 comments:

  1. If there are any empty bunks, let me know. Sounds like a wonderful get away!

    So glad you dried up enough to get in there and plant!

    Enjoy bringing back good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm normally an orderly planter myself, but this year I mixed it up a bit, too! Nice looking beds. You reminded me to get my kids' 4-H camp check mailed off this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking garden plots! I like the way a garden looks right after tilling.

    Not many people anymore who can say they went to the same camp as their children. I never went to camp. For some reason, it just wasn't an option. I didn't know anyone who did go to camp when I was growing up. Because of this I always tried to talk my daughter into going ('cause I thought it would be such a neat experience) but she wanted no part of it. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my grand kids had the opportunity to go to camp a couple years ago-they are still talking about it-but i hear some stories i don't like like "we went swimming across the lake in the middle of the night" I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it- i know it does no good to worry but it is my middle name--I already had to take a tranq. to get me through the rest of the day. all the talk of tornadoes and bears -hell i was hyper ventilating before the kids took off this morning. I'M GLAD YOU GOT YOUR GARDEN IN,CAN'T WAIT FOR HARVEST PICTURES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT POST WAS FROM ME RUTH- I FORGOT TO SIGN OUT MY DAUGHTER

    ReplyDelete