Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, June 17, 2011

2 am phone call, it's twins!



My phone rang at 2 am this morning... It was my friend Heather, saying "It's Heather and everything's okay... but my doe is in labor way earlier than we expected and we are in Virginia." Her niece was there with the doe, but didn't have much animal experience. It was the does first kidding. I reminded her I'd only read about labor and delivery and never actually witnessed one, but we figured book-reading was better than nothing. So, I pulled on my jeans and got in the car and drove the 15 miles to her house. Of course, I forgot the heater core was out in that car and so I froze. Oh well!

All the way there, I prayed "Please God, let everything go okay, I really don't want to have to pull a kid on an animal that's not mine." I got there, found my way to the little barn and there they were! Twin doelings! I was disappointed, because I really wanted to see the birth. The niece had missed both deliveries running to the house to get supplies, so at least I wasn't alone. Momma was making those sweet little noises deep in her throat and the babies looked great. I helped them nurse a little bit, dipped their cords in iodine and we watched them. Both of us were totally in awe. The other doe, "Auntie" Teaspoon, wandered in and out to check on everyone, and Momma Snickers finally laid down to rest. We waited for the placenta to finish coming out, but after they were dozing, I said "if it's still there in the morning, call me..."

I got back in the car, drove home, thereby waking the dogs up, who woke Steve up... Whoops, sorry honey. Twice in one night! It took awhile to go to sleep, my adrenaline was pumping pretty good. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I could lend moral support, since I didn't have to do anything else.

This is why I love my life! Some people think I'm nuts, but it just feels right! I'm gonna leave you with the cutest picture of the oldest doeling. She reminded me of Yoda in this picture.

5 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart you are to help out! And yes, I think of Yoda too in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T KNOW YODA YET SO I'LL YOUR WORD--WHICH IS CUTE-WHAT A EXCITING NIGHT-GREAT STORY-IS IT REALLY THAT CHILLY THERE YOU NEED HEAT IN THE CAR-? OCEAN BREEZE? I HAVE NOT A CLUE SINCE I HAVE NEVER TRAVELED THAT FAR WEST--THE FARTHEST WAS MISSOURI [ TO YOU THAT MUST BE THE MIDWEST]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest thing I have EVER seen!!!! Sorry you missed the main event, but I'm sure you will get to be there for another! Gotta run now and get the family together to look at that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Yoda for sure! Newborn goat kids are just the cutest things. I know it will get me in trouble with some people for saying so but I think they're even cuter than little lambs! I'm sure the goat sitter was awfully glad to have you with her. It's so good for friends to know they can call on dependable people like you at 2 a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sweet! I can't wait for baby goats! I hope all goes as well when my does kid. You were a trooper to head out at 2 AM and help out. I'm a doula, and know that adrenalin rush that keeps one from sleeping even though she's exhausted all too well! It does get easier with the passing of time, though.

    ReplyDelete