Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm a basket case!

Or at least that's what my teenage daughter calls me.

I love containers, baskets especially, preferably with lids, but without is okay too. I feel very organized and neat when things are tucked away in a basket or container. That's kinda weird for me, because as a kid until I moved into my own home, I was a real slob. I mean, my younger sister actually put a strip of masking tape down the center of our shared bedroom to make me keep my mess on my side. I actually knew where the safe parts were to step, where there was nothing breakable underneath the clothes, books, etc.

Now, I like a neat, simple style that looks clutter-free. Part of what helps with this is the use of baskets. Things are kept close at hand but are contained.

Some examples:

About 3 months ago I switched to cloth napkins, to save money and be a bit more "green". I knew if I put them into a drawer we'd never use them, so I folded them and put them into a basket on the counter.



I don't have a nightstand with any drawers by my bed. I have an old table that was my great-grandmothers. I use a small basket with a lid for my hand lotion, book marks, etc. and a larger basket that I put my purse and anything that needs to go to town with me so I don't forget it.



Hubby has a basket for his odds and ends by his side of the bed also. That way, when he starts asking where his glasses are, I can say "Look in the basket!"



I found these two baskets at a local thrift store. They are two different sizes with lids. One holds remotes and WII games, the other holds some of Lyndsey's looms and yarns that she works on periodically. It keeps everything together and looking neat.



Then, in my office/sewing area I have a basket where we put mending projects, etc. I find that if they sit out where I can see them constantly, I am more apt to get out the needle and thdread and fix them.



Also in the office is a shelf where I've tucked baskets holding odds and ends including a basket with Bella's toys and chew bones that is on the floor so she can get into it. Now if I could just teach her to put them back when she's done.



Our manufactured home has a couple of open shelves and I can't handle seeing loose papers in it, so I've tucked a couple smaller flat baskets into them.



Of course, every reading room (ie bathroom)needs a handy basket to keep the most current publications in...



I keep a stash of baskets handy, using them for all sorts of things, such as packing the makings of a good s'more out to the firepit, taking homemade rolls to a get-together, tucking gifts into one instead of wrapping them (think a cute mug, some good tea, chocolate and a magazine in a little bedside basket for a get-well gift). I pick them up at thrift stores, yard sales, and have even been given some.



So, being a basket case helps me keep my life a bit more organized and neat, and with my chaotic mind, that's a good thing!

Join me for some hope, joy and faith!

7 comments:

  1. A timely post, I'm actually knitting a basket right now! I love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of all your baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A woman after my own heart! I love your collection of baskets. They're my favorite storage container too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not a bad basket case to be then! Our large ones end up in the garden for harvesting. Never can have too many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love baskets, and am always on the hunt for them at garage sales, etc.
    And hubby always says "What is it about women and baskets!"
    Forgive him. He is male!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think baskets are great - just imagine how messy everything would look without them??

    ReplyDelete
  7. i;ve had huge red ones for the kitchen.green ones in the dining area-never leave home with out one

    ReplyDelete