Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Must get more motivated...

Reality: I am a champion procrastinator. I have a routine I follow in the am to get chores done, and then I pretty much bounce from job to job, making up little things to accomplish so I can avoid the bigger things.

I do minutes for the local city council meeting. They are boring. My goal is 1 a week, but I've managed to avoid those, so, on Monday, I will sit down and do them. I decided a few weeks ago that the weekends were for chores around here that I needed hubby's help with and for family time, so I won't do them on the weekend.

I need to get into the greenhouse and replant seedlings (it's too wet to get them in the ground yet) and get the beds in there planted, but my excuse is that the calves are in there and it's too hard to work with them bumping me for milk. Today if it's nice, they will be outside, so I will get in there to at least replant. Two of them are to be sold Monday, so we'll move the other guy down to the field with the sheep and then I can plant the beds.

I am going to start earlier and work a bit later. I am guilty of quitting as soon as dinner is done and there's a lot of things I can do after dinner. I want to start sewing more and I can do that then instead of playing on the computer. I have some things on my to-do list that are important AND easy to accomplish, but I keep forgetting them, so I am moving the list to where it's right in front of me. I also have the bad habit of thinking of things that I need to do and then forgetting them, so I have decided that even if they are minor, they are going to be written down.

If I want this little farm to be a small source of income, I need to get busy! I believe some of my lack of energy is caused by depression (which was a partial cause of my drinking, so I need to be cautious). I am on medication, but the insurance company recently refused to pay for the stuff that worked and also helped my fibromyalgia, so the new stuff is causing some weird reactions (I have weird dreams every night now, not scary-I dreamed hubby and I were Native American's in the past, growing grapes on a hillside...LOL) Some of it is due to my procrastination. I am, and always will be, a champion procrastinator. I have to set up little "awards" for myself for getting things done. Part of it is fear, both financially and my internal fear of failure. So, now that I've addressed the problems, it's time to focus on the cure.

I'll keep you posted on how it all works. In the meantime, I have to share a funny thing Bella did the other day. I wish I'd have had my video camera. We have a tacky, white plastic heron out by our pond. Bella spent a good 10 minutes trying to herd it over with the chickens. She'd creep up, jump at it, then look at me very puzzled when it didn't move. She finally crept up and gingerly shoved it with her paw, jumping back immediately. After two or three more times of touching it, she finally walked off, trying with all her might to look dignified. I was laughing so hard. My description doesn't do justice to the puzzled look on her face.

Wishing you a weekend filled with hope, joy and faith!

5 comments:

  1. I can just see Bella trying to herd a plastic bird - too funny! Our last dog was always trying to herd the cats, which worked about as well.

    Procrastination is one of my better talents too, and unfortunately, fibro is a constant companion as well. The combination does make it hard to stay on track.

    The weather isn't helping either. I don't know what it's been like on the So. Oregon coast, but here on the northern Washington coast, it has been cold, rainy, and dreary. I know I'll feel better with some sunshine and warmth.

    Feel better and be well,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so comical on Bella! I bet she had a little embarassment over that...and I wonder if they get embarassed??
    On the procrastination, I am the same on every count. Seems theres always soo much to do and not enough energy sometimes. I always wish for one of those full steam ahead days and then think..Oh well...it'll happen when it happens. Life is too short to worry about it all getting done so I sit down and enjoy the scenery. Since I've been through a few wakeup calls in my past it just seems right now to just take it easier on myself...I am my own worst critic! Enjoy your day and take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad, that video of Bella might have been the big winner on Americas Most funny videos. I guess she is serious about her job. No bird left behind. Even fake ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one - I too always quit after dinner! Here it is, light out for quite awhile yet, but I seem to lose all motivation once I sit down to dinner. I would have loved to see Bella, that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Deb H. Plus, if something little gets skipped...it probably wasn't missed anyway. Make a smaller list...accomplish a little, and who knows, the next day might produce twice as much. If not, don't worry...it will always be there. Enjoy your day. ~:)

    ReplyDelete