Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, April 1, 2011

It's the little things on the farm that matter!

I am finding that even when I'm feeling kinda down, little things pop up to make me happy.

I was so excited yesterday! I called the store in the morning to make sure they were there. I could barely contain myself and wait to go to town at the time I was supposed to. I mean, really excited. The people at the store looked at me in confusion as I tried to express my exhilaration. Do you wanna know what had me so happy?



New rubber boots! Yippee! No more wet right foot while I am doing chores. I put them on as soon as I got home. They smell new (sounds silly), are not scuffed up and are just plain black boots. I kept looking down at my feet as I was wandering around the property finding mud puddles to step in.

Then, as I was doing chores, I noticed that the trilliums were blooming. I love these flowers. It is illegal to pick them in Oregon. They grow wild all over our property and to me they mean spring! So, even tho it was starting to rain yet again, I felt happy knowing nicer weather is on it's way, and even the wildflowers know it.






Then we had our first fire in our new "recycled" fire pit tonight, and had hotdogs and marshmellows outside.




It was starting to mist pretty heavy, but it was just relaxing to sit out by the fire, smell the wood smoke, hear the frogs and listen to the sheep screaming their fool heads off because they could see us (well, the sheep screaming wasn't relaxing, but...) Lyndsey was really excited to eat outside, and it makes me feel good to know that our 15 year old likes that kind of stuff still and will hang out with mom and dad around the crackling blaze. She even sleeps outside with me. I am a huge fan of throwing a large mattress down on the ground, (used to be I didn't need a mattress) and climbing into my sleeping bag and staring at the stars (or the blur of the star when I take my glasses off). My mom thinks I'm nuts to like to sleep outside at my age, as she puts it. Oh well, she and I have never seen things quite the same.

Anyhow, I went to bed quite content with my life! Yes, I could use a bit more money, as things are extremely, scary tight financially right now, but reality is, I have all I really need right here on the property. Thanks Great-Great Grandma and Great-Great Grandpa! We love it here!

Wishing everyone a weekend filled with Hope, Joy and Faith!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what little things can make us happy. I have a firepit, too and I just love to build a fire and just sit there and enjoy it in the dark. When my grandkids come over we always have to cook over it. They love it too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. age, schmage! I'll be camping outside as long as I can... I'll just make my kids carry my gear when I'm in a walker LOL, congrats on those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a really nice post! Your talk about sleeping outside reminds me that I always think we're going to do that a couple of times each summer but then when I remember to suggest it, the bugs are too bad. Gotta get out there this spring BEFORE the bug hatch! I just got new mud boots this week, too! But mine are red. I guess I just lost my head for a moment and ordered red. How's that for living on the wild side? We have trilliums here, too, but they look a little different than yours. Thanks again for an uplifting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth My Friend,

    What a refreshing story u shared with all of us! Thank u!

    Even in tough times it really is just the special people, places, and moments that really matter.

    It was a breath of fresh air to hear your thoughts today!

    Bless u my friend! Kim

    ReplyDelete