Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Lots going on!

Dang, woke up with another headache. Not sure if its due to weather (lots of wind/rain predicted) or just stress-related, but it's frustrating. Oh well, I learned a long time ago if I stopped doing stuff when I had a headache or didn't feel good, nothing would get done, so pushing forward!

Got 4 loaves of bread rising as I type this (I found an excellent whole wheat recipe through Annie Tuttle's blog at Backwoods Home that makes 3-4 loaves) and I went ahead and made a loaf of white also just for a change.

I also have been drying potatoes the last week or so. One of the local food banks gave me about 200 lbs. of potatoes to divide up between people. They had a surplus and didn't want them to go bad. I kept about 50 lbs for us and have been busy slicing, blanching and dehydrating them. I'll have to try them in a recipe soon to see how they turn out.



The lambs, Addie and Maddie are doing great. They both lost their tails in the last week, so now they look like grown-up sheep! They are getting very pushy about getting in the grain, and surprisingly, the big sheep back down. I've got to get my creep feeder hung this weekend.

Hope everyone has a day filled with hope, joy and faith!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about your headaches. I have migraines and am on meds for them for the past 20 years...and the one thing guaranteed to give them to me is March and October. Must be the weather changes because it's the only months I get the full blown ones. You're right-it's best to just push on.
    Have you ever dried potatoes before? Too bad they don't freeze well......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I have been having hormonal headaches for the past 6-7 months, and they are horrid! Sorry you are in pain, you are right, it can make you quite unproductive if you don't grin and bear it! Interested in how the potatoes turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Headaches are no fun . . . especially for those of you who suffer from migraines. Ugh. Someone once told me that the closer your pain is to your brain, the more unbearable it is. So that makes headaches really bad.

    I, too, will be interested in hearing how the dehydrated potatoes turn out. Never done it. Erin, you make mashed potatoes and freeze in serving sized portions, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I make garlic and bleu cheese mashed potatoes, then after cooled, scoop them into freezer bags - they reheat in the microwave nicely. Also will do twice baked the same way, mash with garlic, sour cream, butter, chives, maybe bleu or parmesan then restuff, put the caps back on and freeze on a cookie sheet for about an hour, then dump into gallon baggies, just take out what you need and reheat in oven or microwave. We can't store taters here in the south!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have used dehydrated potatoes either. Do you blanch them first?

    ReplyDelete