Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oregon weather is back!

Our winter weather for the Oregon coast is back with a vengance. The wind started Sunday night and continued through the day, and then the rain hit yesterday. As we were driving home from dinner about 6 pm, we were hit with a torrential downpour of the wonderful sideways rain we get here. It came down in buckets. I slowed the car to a crawl and even with the wipers on high could barely see the road. The teenager made a mad dash for the house when we got home, and I bravely crossed the orchard to lock up the chickens. The water was sitting on top of the ground and with only having tennis shoes on, my feet were soaked. It was sure nice to get inside where the woodstove had kept the house all toasty warm and dry.

There was a thunder storm that lasted about 3 hours, starting about midnight. Normally I love thunder and lightening and can sleep really good, but Bo, our collie/shepard mix, cowered on our bed and barked through the whole thing, so I'm pretty wiped out this morning.

There is currently a flood "potential" posted for the small streams in the area from all the rain we got, but it won't be anything dangerous. I don't have a rain gauge, so I don't have a clue how much rain we actually got, but there is a lot of water sitting in the low areas of the field and orchard. Momma sheep Staci is pretty irritated with having to be kept in, but I'm not going to try to keep the little ewe's splint dry today in this.

After I shake the weather and sleep-deprived headache I am suffering from, I need to finish making the dog "snacks" (homemade with peanut butter, whole wheat flour, milk and baking powder) today that I use to get the dogs in their chain link kennel. All I have to say is "anyone want a kennel cookie?" and they are both headed on a dead run for the door. I also started some Valentines Sugar cookies that I never finished, so today I'll bake some "shamrock" cookies instead!


Hope everyone has a day full of hope, joy and faith~

4 comments:

  1. According to our local weatherman the storm you are now experiencing is heading our way....(Southern California) Cookies sound like a great way to cope with a storm :-)

    Take care and have a nice week :-)

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bo. At least he will get some cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. This is my first visit to yours but I'll definitely be back! DARN! That was a great book give-away! How's your little lamb with the bad foot doing? You are one, busy lady. I didn't move to the country until my kids were all grown and on their own. I guess my sheep (and chickens, and pigs...) have kind of become my 'surrogate family'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dogs love peanut butter biscuits, too! Sometimes I think I'd rather have single digits and dry and sunny any day instead of that bone chilling wet & wind... I remember it well from living in Humboldt county!

    ReplyDelete