Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tired and Cranky!

I couldn't sleep last night at all... My sciatic nerve (or as I call it, my pyschotic nerve) was pinched, I was having small leg cramps (drank some vinegar, which helped) and to top it all off, my mind wouldn't shut down.

With being unemployed since June from my job with the county,(thank goodness for unemployment) there is, of course a lot of stress. Financial, emotional and just plain stress. Most of the time, I can push it away, but not last night. Probably from trying to figure out how to pay this months bills and put money towards Lyndsey's trip to Paris in March. So, I tried reading, playing on the computer, reading some more... nothing worked and to top it off I kept waking up the hubby, so he's not a happy camper either this morning. He's gonna take a nap later, but I can't do that, it will just start a vicious cycle.

So, I will work on my to-do list... Sew some pillow covers for the really ugly plaid pillows I found at the thrift store, move some horse manure to help my sciatica, I'm going to make this recipe I found this morning for Date Loaf Nut Bread posted by Jane It looks delicious and I have all the incredients with the exception of carob powder, so I'll substitute cocoa powder.

Then I'll make some Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (similar to Olive Garden-so good!) for dinner (here's the recipe)

Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
1 cup chicken breast, cooked and diced (you can use a rotisserie chicken)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart half and half
1 14 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon parsley
Freshly grated parmesan cheese – optional
1 pound potato gnocchi

Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter, when the onion becomes translucent, add the flour, and make a roux, let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding 1 quart of half and half.
Cook gnocchi according to package directions.

Into the roux add in the carrots, celery, and chicken. Once the mixture becomes thick add the chicken broth. Once the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasonings.

Comments about this recipe:  You can add more chicken if you like.  While you could use left over cooked chicken breasts, I really think using the rotisserie chicken that are found in many grocery stores is the best way to get the optimal flavor of this soup.  If you want to make the soup lower calorie you can use milk instead of half and half.  Half and Half, does taste better, and it also reheats better than milk does.

I'm hoping that keeping busy help me sleep better tonight, as long as I can get Bo and Bella to stay on Steve's side of the bed...

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are having a bad day :(

    Every once in a while you just have to succumb to them.

    There is always tomorrow and just think...it can only get better!

    Love and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your bad day. Let me know how you like the bread. The dogs seem like they are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, hope you're feeling better by now. It's just the pits when ya can't get a good night's sleep! We slept a little fitfully last night, too, because we had such high winds again. Let's hope we ALL zonk out and wake refreshed, bright-eyed and busy tailed tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better, APG! Thanks! I slept very good, tho the teenager woke me up briefly when she wanted to crawl in and snuggle early this am. At 5'9" she takes up too much space!

    It's crisp and cold, tho the sun is shining here in Oregon, and I hope to get a lot of my "little" chores done before I head to town for our livestock club 4-H meeting. It's amazing how much better things look after a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete