Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Resolutions!

Ok, I finally put pen to paper (or keyboard to program, as the case may be) and came up with some things I want to work on in my day-to-day life!

1. Update advance directive and write a will (I've seen too many problems because people weren't prepared for this)

2. Work on my writing, first finishing the article I've been working on for a while (like 3 months).

3. Start sewing, including Christmas gifts for next year.

4. Finish crotcheting afghan I started 2 years ago.

5. Promote home business and get it off the ground.

6. Prepare better meal plans that incorporate cooking out of the garden, freezers, and cupboards rather than stopping at the store because I'm too tired or lazy.

7. Look into to going back to school.

There are a lot more things I want to accomplish, but I need time to think about them. I love writing lists and crossing things off! Makes me feel good!

On a different note, we spent last evening with friends and had fun playing games (hubby even played ping pong. However, one of the couples has a handsome young 14 year old son with autism, and I watched how the mom and dad worked together to manage him. After he had gone to sleep, I had the opportunity to talk to the dad (a very quiet man) at length. He seemed so tired. He told me that most nights the son only sleeps til 1 am or so, then is up roaming the house, so of course someone needs to be up with him. The boy's anger and frustration and inability to speak (he signs some, but no one knows how much he actually understands) add up to an incredible amount of stress for this family. I told the father how much we admired them for their dedication to both their children (they have an older daughter who is Lyndsey's best friend) and that they need to be proud of both their children. I wanted to cry-this father can never take his son hunting or teach him to drive a car, they will never hear the words "I love you Dad and Mom" or watch him graduate high school. I make a vow, as I write these words, to be grateful that my children are healthy. I will watch for the opportunity to help others, especially the dear friends who love their children and are doing whatever it takes to raise them at home, no matter the cost!

Happy New Years to all!

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year From Southern California.

    Don't forget to watch the 122nd Rose Parade on New Year's Day coming from Pasadena, California...only 30 miles from The Old Geezer's home :-) If you miss the live telecast, I'm sure there will be lots of reruns through out the day.

    No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy today, mix good cheer with friends today enjoy it and bless God for it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

    May God Bless and Protect You in the Year to Come. ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your list sounds wonderful and I am glad to hear that you have UFOs at least 2yrs old also ;o)

    What a heartbreak for your friends and their son. Sometimes we focus on what we don't have and it is good to hear how others with difficulties manage and carry on. There is inspiration in it.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so interesting to see other people's lists. Thanks for sharing yours. I had to smile at your item about starting to work on NEXT Christmas right away. It's amazing how many people I've heard express the same this year, me included! I even did a little work to that end this afternoon.

    Blessings to those parents of the autistic son. Reading your poignant description of their situation makes me ashamed for whining about anything in my life. Thank you for sharing that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Pea, I was done with Christmas a few days before it this year, which is a huge accomplishment for me, but I felt like I spent too much and the gifts were what was on a want or need list, not from the heart, plus, shipping costs hit the pocketbook hard. So, if I start now, my goal is to have them done in time to deliver personally when we see the people later in the year. We'll see if it works!

    ReplyDelete