Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Local Animal Hoarder Story!

The other day I got a call from our local animal shelter asking me to come take some pictures of some dogs that were rescued from a hoarder.

The story!


There were a total of 22 dogs and 18 cats.


The dogs ranged from puppies to older dogs, from borderline health to poor health (2 had to be humanely euthanized).



I stopped by today to drop off some bleach and see how everybody was settling in, and the momma and puppies had the run of the shelter office. The momma, who had been a growling, nervous wreck the day I took pictures, today was noticeably calmer, and even let me give her some hugs, scratches and lovin', while carefully watching her puppies. It's a good thing Steve would say no if I asked, because I could bring her home so easy.

I don't understand the sickness that makes people hoard (either animals or things) and I feel bad for them, but the conditions these dogs and cats were in was horrible. Some of the dogs may never be able to be placed because of behavior problems because of little or no positive interaction with humans.

3 comments:

  1. I dont understand hoarding either.Maybe caused from insecurity,who knows,glad they were rescued,thanks for sharing. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little things. Hopefully most of the animals can find loving forever homes. I will never understand animal cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this always makes me so mad! Well the pictures you took aren't the worst I've seen thankfully! (friend who works for animal control...I have seen real-real bad ones...the make you cry kind)

    How anyone could be so mean to animals just kills me. It's one thing to have lots of them but for pete's sake take care of them!

    ReplyDelete