Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lamb watch begins!

We have two ewes, but only one appears really pregnant. The last couple of days her udder has gotten pretty full. Today, my friend who has worked on a sheep ranch came out and we "scoped" Staci out. The decision was made to pen Staci up in the separate lean-to/pen. After a short trip away from the house we came home to find some mucous coming out, so I'm thinking it's getting close. I am so excited. This is my first year with having our own 4-H project lambs born here. Actually, I've never had any large livestock deliver here, so it's a first for us. The ewe (Staci) is an old hand at it. This is her 4th or 5th year delivering and has successfully lambed twins or triplets each year, so I'm feeling positive.




We have to go to Portland (6 hours away) from Thursday to Saturday, so I am hoping and praying she delivers before we leave. If she hangs on, then my friend will come out and stay at the house and keep an eye on things.

Hoping to post baby pictures soon!

9 comments:

  1. That is very exciting! I hope she delivers when you are home so that you can be there for your first one! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They never deliver when you want them to. But it sure looks like it could be anytime now. I bet we see some baby pictures real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No babies yet, I think I irritated Staci by checking on her every few hours. She was looking at me like "Quit waking me up!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lambs are always exciting but your first one is thrilling. Good luck and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If she's got a little mucus discharge, it would seem like she's getting close. Hoping she lambs tonight for you. (You'll feel a lot better about leaving on your trip, won't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci is so cute, hope you have those babies soon. hopefully before you leave. I liked this post!. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still no babies, we are now out of town til Saturday, so I have asked her to please wait! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! Is that a Suffolk? I grew up on a sheep farm, I remember lambing in January in Minnesota... NOT FUN LOL.... as a 12 year old I remember having to pull 3 lambs out of a older ewe that died, man it was cold! Not many kids today get to do 4-H and have the experience of raising motherless lambs in the basement LOL but it happens on a yearly basis when you have alot of animals. Yours looks a beautiful strong specimen for a healthy lamb! Can't wait to see mama & baby photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin, Staci (the ewe) is a purebred Suffolk who was awarded to my daughter last summer by an outgoing 4-H'er. She is a sweetie and I'm hoping she has twins and one is a ewe so we can keep her for breeding. We don't eat lamb here (Hubby worked on a sheep ranch for years and ate too much old mutton), but my daughter does raise them for market animals for 4-H. I love sheep, they have really nice personalities.

    ReplyDelete