Other stuff about the farm and your's truly!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Alcohol (and drugs) kill!

I just got a call this morning that one of the guys I went to school with passed away. His kidney and liver gave out due to all the alcohol. He was only 48, but had drank heavily for years, smoked pot and then got into the heavier drugs, like meth! He quit finally a couple years ago, but it was too late. He'd been in jail numerous times and I think went into a couple of in-patient treatments, but for whatever reason couldn't stay clean and sober.

It makes me mad, sad and grateful! Mad because of what the disease does to people... It ruins lives (families, friends, the alcoholic/addict's), sad because it kills, destroys and carries on for generations, and grateful because through the grace of my Higher Power, I haven't had a drink in over 12 years. My health doesn't seem to have been affected by the alcohol, except I know that some of my brain cells are gone. I don't remember things very well, but for the most part, I'm healthy. I can't say it's easy. There are lots of days when a cold beer feels like it would fix a lot of things. I can't say I'm perfect. I still lie at times, procrastinate, avoid the obvious, and much more.

But I can say that just for today, I don't have to drink to make it easier, better, or "blurred".

Rest in peace, Tom S.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like my step-brother, only he seems to stay alive against all odds....

    I noticed you are a new follower of my blog; it's an honor and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this. Yet happy to hear that although you are human, you too understand how hard it can be.

    My thoughts and prayer to family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss, it bring into stark relief why we need to stay true to sobriety. I only have 6 months in on the 14th of this month but the changes in my life are so wonderful and I feel so blessed. It is sad to have lost one so young to such a horrible disease as addiction.

    ReplyDelete